• English English English en
  • Español Español Spanish es
DA NewsCenter
  • Link to Facebook
  • Link to Youtube
  • Link to X
  • Link to Instagram
  • Link to Rss this site
  • Home
  • News
  • Video
  • Resources
  • About
  • Contact
  • Click to open the search input field Click to open the search input field Search
  • Menu Menu
You are here: Home1 / News2 / Former Teacher of the Year Sentenced to Prison for Sexually Abusing St...
Photo of gavel and scales of justice.

Former Teacher of the Year Sentenced to Prison for Sexually Abusing Students

May 9, 2025

San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan said today that Jacqueline Ma, 36, the former San Diego County Teacher of the Year who taught at Lincoln Acres Elementary School in National City, has been sentenced to 30 years-to-life in prison for sexually abusing two students.

Ma pleaded guilty on February 5 to two counts of forcible lewd act on a child, one count of lewd act on a child, and one count of possessing child sexual abuse material including allegations substantial sexual conduct and having multiple victims. She had been scheduled to stand trial in April.

“This defendant violated the trust she had with her students in the most extreme and traumatic way possible and her actions are despicable,” DA Stephan said. “Her victims will have to deal with a lifetime of negative effects and her 30-year sentence is appropriate. No child deserves what this defendant did and I hope this sentence brings a measure of justice to the victims, their families and the community that was left reeling from this defendant’s crimes.”

In March 2023, the mother of one of the victims found inappropriate messages on a family tablet between the student and teacher. Ma had groomed the minor for over a year before performing sexual acts on the him when he was 12. The parents did not allow the boy to have social media or his own electronics, but Ma was able to get access to him by setting up an unsanctioned after school program and directing him to communicate with her through a school chat application.

The sex acts perpetrated by Ma occurred in her classroom while the parents believed their son was participating in an afterschool basketball program, and the abuse continued for a period of three months. Further investigation found that Ma had targeted and sexually assaulted another student in 2020. That boy was 11at the time. Ma had been grooming young boys with gifts, food and special attention and even completed their homework for them. She also gained the trust of the parents with her reputation and personal investment in their academic development.

Every student in San Diego County deserves to have a safe and nurturing educational environment, free of sexual and physical abuse. But if that kind of abuse does happen, students, parents and teachers can report it directly to the District Attorney’s Office at https://www.sdcda.org/helping/studentsafety/.

Once suspected abuse is reported, the task force members will evaluate and investigate the claim, law enforcement will be notified to investigate allegations when appropriate, and families will be connected with trauma-informed resources and support.

Deputy District Attorney Andrew Hart prosecuted this case.

Share this entry
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on X
  • Share on LinkedIn
  • Share by Mail
https://danewscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Gavel.png 720 1280 Barbara Medina https://danewscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/07/danews_logo-summer-e1751410255309.webp Barbara Medina2025-05-09 16:00:342025-05-09 16:00:34Former Teacher of the Year Sentenced to Prison for Sexually Abusing Students

Recent News

  • DA Announces Expanded Binational Partnership to Strengthen Victim Services Across the Border

    DA Announces Expanded Binational Partnership to Strengthen Victim Services Across the Border

    May 15, 2026
    San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan announced the renewal and expansion of a binational partnership today, strengthening collaboration between …
  • Tribal Chairpersons, DA, Sheriff Announce Missing and Murdered Indigenous Persons Collaborative; Sign MOU in Sacramento

    Tribal Chairpersons, DA, Sheriff Announce Missing and Murdered Indigenous Persons Collaborative; Sign MOU in Sacramento

    May 6, 2026
    San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan, San Diego County Sheriff Kelly Martinez, Pala Band of Mission Indians Chairman Robert …
  • Crew of Five Target FedEx Delivery Trucks Carrying Louis Vuitton Merchandise

    Crew of Five Target FedEx Delivery Trucks Carrying Louis Vuitton Merchandise

    May 6, 2026
    San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan announced robbery, theft and carjacking charges against five defendants who worked together to …

Newsletter Sign-Up

Stay Connected

  • facebook
  • youtube
  • x
  • instagram
  • feedburner

Hall of Justice • 330 W. Broadway, San Diego, CA 92101
SanDiegoDA@sdcda.org | (619) 531-4040

© San Diego County District Attorney. All rights reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Accessibility
  • San Diego County District Attorney’s Website
Link to: Prolific Thief Sentenced for Stealing Thousands in Merchandise from Retailers Link to: Prolific Thief Sentenced for Stealing Thousands in Merchandise from Retailers Prolific Thief Sentenced for Stealing Thousands in Merchandise from Retaile...Photo of a gavel over law books and scales of justice. Link to: Meet Deputy DA Shanish Aloor Link to: Meet Deputy DA Shanish Aloor Meet Deputy DA Shanish Aloor
Scroll to top Scroll to top Scroll to top